Transportation plays a key role in the growth and development of the economy. Transport contributes in giving value to goods. The manufacturing sector needs an efficient transportation network to distribute goods from one point to another. For that to happen, the state should invest in road and rail infrastructure development. A byproduct of such investment is the growth of the economy and creation of jobs.
With the Rand continually weakening against the Dollar, the price of energy keeps rising. This has a knock-on effect on the cost of public transport. A significant percentage of the income of the poor and working people of this country is spent on transportation to and from work. The continued failure of the State to provide a reliable and affordable public transport system has meant that poor people have had to rely on unsafe and costly transport providers. All this aggravates poverty.
The forceful imposition by the current government of e-tolling has further increased transportation costs and caused a further decrease in disposable income available to the poor households. To avoid the costs of e-tolling, the poor are forced to use, in most case, unsafe and longer alternate routes.
An AZAPO Government will:
- Invest heavily in the building and improvement of road and rail infrastructure
- Activate the unused railways and buy more trains to encourage usage of rail transport for long distances so as to take pressure away from the roads, and thereby remarkably reduce road accidents
- Subsidies public transport and encourage its usage in order to reduce the number of private cars on the road, and also reduce energy consumption
- Subsidies the taxi industry to ensure that fares payable by commuters are affordable
- Scrap e-tolling
- Through legislation, ensure that both the road and passenger transport offer quality and affordable service to commuters.
- Ensure that law enforcement agencies are empowered through legislation to provide safety and security on both road and rail stations countrywide.
- Create enabling legislative instruments to facilitate the monitoring and regulation for all transport systems serving the public.
- Make available resources to expand the transport network to reach all the communities